About Me

My photo
Raising up missionaries to build the Kingdom of God through teamwork

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mercy not sacrifice


We must do all things the way Jesus did. Behind every miracle, behind every sign, behind every action on those in need, Jesus was moved by only one thing. Compassion.


Jesus taught people because he felt compassion for them. Not to show off his qualities of a great teacher.

Mark 6:34

When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.


Jesus set people free of demonic powers because He had compassion on them. Not to amaze people, but because |He had compassion on people.

Mark 5:18-19

As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him. Jesus did not let him, but said, "Go home to your family and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you."


Jesus healed people because He had compassion on them. Not to make people follow Him, not because he needed their praise or their admiration.

Mathew 14:14

When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.


Jesus fed people out of compassion.

Mark 8:2

"I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat.


Jesus raised up people from death, still because He had compassion on them.

Luke 7:13-15

When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, "Don't cry." Then he went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, "Young man, I say to you, get up!" The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.


If anyone desires to do the work of God, the way God wills it, then one needs mercy and compassion to do so. If not, then these miracle performers just draw attention, but don't necessarily lead the healed person to salvation. If compassion doesn't embody the action one does in The Name of The Lord, then we might face the harsh words that Jesus will address one day:

Matthew 7:22-23 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

These people really did miracles, really performed healing, Jesus doesn't say, 'no, you didn't do these things', He just tells them that they are evildoers. Now, the miracles themselves can't be the evil Jesus is accusing them of, but because they did all these things to impress others. If what pushes me towards doing good is mercy and compassion, then I begin to resemble God. Then I walk on the way God asked me to walk. He said:

Matthew 9:13

But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'


Meaning, the action that I make, even if it's made for God, if it doesn't have compassion for my neighbour, motivating it, I am just fooling myself in to thinking that I am serving God.

How can I show my love towards God? Can I do anything for Him?

In the Book of Job 35 is written:

If you sin, how does that affect him? If your sins are many, what does that do to him? If you are righteous, what do you give to him, or what does he receive from your hand? Your wickedness affects only a man like yourself, and your righteousness only the sons of men.

I can't see God and there is absolutely nothing I can do god for Him. If I want to do good for God the the only way i can do that is by doing good for my neighbour.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Let us walk in the footsteps of Jesus by letting compassion to move us in our every action. Let us do everything as for the Lord.


Inspired by Pastor Douglas Montague's message, Sunday, the 5Th of April


No comments:

Post a Comment